Labor & Employment
J.D., George Washington
University School of Law, 1996
B.S., Cornell University, NY School of Industrial and Labor Relations, 1993
New York State Bar, 1997
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Sima Ali, Esq.
Owner and Principal Attorney
Along with her 20 years of experience, Ms. Ali offers an exceptional level of personalized service. She works closely with clients to help them develop a proactive rather than reactive approach to labor and employment issues; her on-going support provides critical guidance to understanding the intricate and often complex laws and regulations which apply to businesses.
Her practice focuses on:
- Wage and hour practices
- Statutory-based claims such as employment discrimination and retaliation, harassment, leaves-of-absence, disabilities and reasonable accommodations
- Commercial litigation such as non-competition and trade secret disputes; and other contract issues related to employment
- Employment contracts and agreements such as severance arrangements, restrictive covenants, non-competes
- Labor relations
- Alternative dispute resolution (arbitration, mediation, negotiation of employment matters)
- Compliance counseling
Ms. Ali is also an engaging speaker who presents seminars on employment law throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Recent Representative Experience
Ms. Ali has represented clients before federal and state courts, administrative agencies, and other tribunals. Her recent experience includes having:
- Achieved a favorable settlement in a restrictive covenant arbitration matter.
- Achieved a favorable settlement for an employer faced with a pregnancy discrimination litigation.
- Received a favorable outcome in a NYS DOL administrative hearing – individuals were found to have been properly classified as independent contractors.
- Successfully defended a TRO (temporary restraining order) in a breach of contract matter.
- Achieved a favorable outcome in a US DOL audit for a franchise entity on the issue of overtime liability.
- Suffolk County Women's Bar Association, Board Member
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Member and Former Chair Labor & Employment Committee (5 years) and Academy Officer
- Huntington Lawyers Club, Member
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, Member
Professional & Community Associations
- Financial Women's Association (FWA Long Island Committee Member)
- Women President’s Organization, Member
- Hauppauge Industrial Association, Member (HR committee)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), Member
- Huntington Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Pink Aid, Corporate Sponsor and Luncheon Committee Member
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Executive Challenge
Speech & Presentation Topics
- New York Paid Family Leave
- Workplace Investigations
- Social Media Policy for the Workplace
- Top 10 Tips for Employee Handbooks
- Wage Theft Prevention Act
- FLSA and Overtime Exemptions
- Employee and Independent Contractor Classifications
- Hiring and Recruiting Practices
- Managing Leaves: FMLA, ADA, Worker's Compensation, PFLA
- Employment Discrimination
- Wage & Hour Compliance
- Employment Related Agreements and Restrictive Covenants
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Technology and Privacy
- Job Descriptions