Statutory claims refer to causes of action that stem from statutes or legislation such as Title VII, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act As Amended (ADAAA), and ERISA. The Ali Law Group provides representative services in Federal and State Courts, administrative agencies and other tribunals for statutory based claims involving employment issues such as discrimination, unlawful harassment, disability discrimination and retaliation claims, and family medical leave claims. The Ali Law Group has extensive experience pursuing these matters to enforce or uphold a company’s interest in the appropriate tribunal and defending these type of commercial litigation matters.
In the context of employment law, commercial litigation involves claims brought into either State or Federal court that deal with employment related contracts, agreements and restrictive covenants. Typically, these are issues involving:
- Breach of contract;
- Misappropriation of trade secrets;
- Bonus agreements;
- Confidentiality, non-solicitation and non-compete types of agreements and the enforcement of those agreements; and
- Proprietary business information (breach of duty of loyalty, unjust enrichment, etc.).
Administrative Proceedings (EEOC, NYSDHR, NYS DOL, NYS WCB, NYC AGENCIES, NYS DOL UI)
The Ali Law Group has represented clients at hearings, appeals and audits that involve ancillary and often more complex issues. Such issues include but are not limited to defending a claim of discrimination or retaliation, explaining an individual’s classification as an independent contractor, or explaining the reasons for an employee’s termination.
Managing Labor and Employment Related Litigation
Acting as “outside” in-house counsel when managing litigation, the Ali Law Group will:
- Judge the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, work with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights.
- Collaborate with upper management on the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Act as business liaison with outside counsel, manage and approve litigation budget and provide substantive input on litigation strategy.